Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  New Log in Drainpipe + Brainfade change 

Forums -> Hazards -> New Log in Drainpipe + Brainfade change Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. American - Below KyburzLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
tulley
Posted: Mar 13, 2011Post Subject: New Log in Drainpipe + Brainfade change

There is a riverwide log in the ramp coming out of drainpipe. Log is at head / chest level and is likely to move w/ higher spring flows. This log is out of view on a typical scout of drainpipe. See picture above -- taken looking back from below the rapid.

There are several other big new logs elsewhere in the run. Currently the one mentioned above is the only hazard.

Seperately, the huge rock on the river right at brainfade has broken in two and has definitely changed the runout. Worth a look. See below.

Be on your toes in there.
Edited once.  Last edited by tulley Mar 13, 2011.
daniel-todd
Posted: Mar 15, 2011Post Subject: Brainfade
I noticed this was posted before the river came up. Was your trip recent or was this data from a little time back? With all the side creeks I could see how this run would be doable in a kayak.

My interest is in the rapid Brainfade. When I rafted this section last year, I think the flow was about 1,000, there was a tree blocking the exit making the rapid unrunnable for a raft. I would have guessed kayaks too but I do not claim to know what a kayak can and cannot do. I remember a couple more trees in the river below that also. Are the trees cleared out? thank you
tulley
Posted: Mar 16, 2011Post Subject: Photos taken Sun March 13, 2011
Photos taken Sun March 13, 2011. Flow ~450 at PI, ~800 above power houses.

Rafts? I wouldn't advise it. Good luck, be safe.
Edited once.  Last edited by tulley Mar 16, 2011.
daniel-todd
Posted: Mar 16, 2011Post Subject: Brainfade Trees
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. However I am confused. Are you saying that the tree is still across the river at Brainfade so you would not advise running that rapid in a raft? I guess it really does not matter because that is a good rapid to scout each time I run that section anyway.
Forums -> Hazards -> New Log in Drainpipe + Brainfade change Page 1 of 1