Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Tree down on last rapid above Pollard Flat 

Forums -> Hazards -> Tree down on last rapid above Pollard Flat Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Sacramento - At DeltaLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Kevlarnomad
Posted: Mar 6, 2014Post Subject: Tree down on last rapid above Pollard Flat
Tree blocking entire channel, must portage river Right at gravel slide below green bridge and before last train trestle at takeout of Simms run on Upper Sacramento River just above takeout at Pollard Flat.
Edited once.  Last edited by Kevlarnomad Mar 6, 2014.
jimbo
Posted: Mar 8, 2014Post Subject: Tree Across Upper Sac Above Pollard
Saturday, 3-08-14. Flow: 1,500 at Delta.

The tree is still hanging over the rapid just before the big landslide. (I tried to attach a photo, but couldn't. I'll ask Chris for help.)

It probably won't move until really high water or creative chain-sawing. There is only about 2 1/2 feet of clearance under it at the biggest gap on the far right and there is a rock blocking the far right line.

A skilled kayaker could make the move from center to the right side and get under the tree, but I would not want to try it in a raft. The current is really racing in that part of the rapid and there are a couple short branches on the bottom side of the tree.

There is also a smaller tree bobbing in the middle of the flat water just upstream from the problem tree. The small one is easy to see and is passable on either side. The problem tree spans the next rapid around the bend so it's hard to see before you're committed. Scout and portage on the gravel bar on the right.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 9, 2014
Here's the photo of the tree hanging over the rapid just before the big landslide that Jim referred to in his post:

whitey1
Posted: Mar 10, 2014
As of 3-10-14 the log was cut, but it is still across the whole river channel and harder to see from up stream. I hope the rain sunday night brought up the flow to push it out of the way. Be safe it is very hard to see from above the rapid.
Jim_rain
Posted: Mar 12, 2014Post Subject: Log B Gone!
I walked down today to see if the log got washed away with the rain on Monday and it's completely gone! Thanks to whoever cut it - when I saw the log last weekend I figured it would take a flow of 8 to 10k to float that sucker away but it looks like somebody cut the top off the tree and allowed it to be swept away.
Forums -> Hazards -> Tree down on last rapid above Pollard Flat Page 1 of 1