Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Paddling the Payette -- 3rd Edition in the works 

Forums -> Archive -> Paddling the Payette -- 3rd Edition in the works Page 1 of 1
Posted to area: ID - PayetteLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Tracy
Posted: Jun 13, 2006Post Subject: Paddling the Payette -- 3rd Edition in the works
Stephen Stuebner is writing a new edition of "Paddling the Payette." This "complete flat-water and whitewater guide to the Payette River Basin" covers some wonderful Idaho whitewater stretches in detail including "The Main" (Class III from Banks to Beehive Bend), "Staircase" (Class IV from Deer Creek to Banks), "The Canyon" (Class IV with portage of Big Falls from Deadwood Campground to Danskin), and "The North Fork" (Continuous Class V from Lower Smith's Ferry to Banks).

The new edition will contain updated descriptions of the rapids after the mud slides in 1997 and 2001.

I was told it would be available locally in Idaho through Idaho River Sports and REI and that it should be available as soon as late June 2006.

-Tracy
Tracy
Posted: Jul 11, 2006Post Subject: Out Now!
This book is currently available at IRS (Idaho River Sports). It was not yet available at REI in Boise the last time I checked. They seemed to think that it might be available only at the Boise REI store...

The thinner new edition has added highlights for some of the Payette play holes and waves. Including the Gutter. Trashcan, and the Training Hole. It calls out whitewater features mile by mile and it retails for less than previous editions.

There is at least one glaring omission in the directory of services... (helpful web sites for checking river flows doesn't include dreamflows!)

Although there are some changes and improvements, I wouldn't give up your old editions just yet...
Forums -> Archive -> Paddling the Payette -- 3rd Edition in the works Page 1 of 1