Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Flows for SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley 

Forums -> Archive -> Flows for SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Feather - Below Little Grass ValleyLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 7, 2008Post Subject: Flows for SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "The flows in the SF Feather River below Little Grass Valley will be increased today to 145 cfs, and will remain at that
level through the end of the month."
Trinitypaddler
Posted: Jul 8, 2008
Is 145 cfs. enough to boat this section?
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 9, 2008
Sounds low for a hardshell: http://www.dreamflows.com/guides/Feather/UpperSF/index.php
Thomas M
Posted: Jul 16, 2008Post Subject: Why 145 cfs
Hey Chris, do you why they release only 145 cfs? Last year they did the same which only gave us a week or so of 300 cfs. It seems like we could have longer boatable flows if the flow was not released at 145 cfs. It was my understanding that the only purpose in releasing is to lower the res.

Thomas
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 17, 2008
Hey Thomas, the South Feather Water and Power Agency came back with the following: "The current release schedule is for power generation purposes, while the fall release schedule is for lowering the reservoir and is shaped in consultation with American Whitewater to provide boatable flows".

Bummer. Happily they're willing to work with us for the fall draw-down release schedule, though. Not every utility is so kind [they're still operating on the old license, so they could just tell us to buzz off if they wanted].

And by the way, if you have input on boatable flows, I encourage you to contact Dave Steindorf of American Whitewater. He'll be sitting down with South Feather Water and Power very soon now to set the draw-down schedule, and it's a balancing act between great flows for a short time, or less wonderful flows for longer. It's a manual valve at the dam so they don't just change the flow at will.
Thomas M
Posted: Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Too bad the flows used for power do not conicide with boatable flows for us.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 27, 2008
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows:

"I've been discussing planned operations for the SF Feather River below Little Grass Valley for this October with Dave Steindorf and PG&E. At this point, we plan to ramp up to 350 cfs beginning October 1 (I expect to be at about 250 cfs by 4 pm 10/1 and at 350 cfs by 4 pm 10/2) and hold the flow at 350 cfs until October 20 when we will start to ramp the flows back down. This will provide three full weekends of boatable flows. This flow regime accommodates an extended powerhouse outage we have planned for the fall, and also allows us to do some work in the spillway approach channel prior to the snow season. Please feel free to post this information on your bulletin board. As we get closer to the end of September I will provide updates if there are to be any changes."
Trinitypaddler
Posted: Aug 27, 2008
Thanks Chris for the update! Three weeks of boatable flows "sweet". Can anybody recommend some good camp sites in the area?
Edited once.  Last edited by Trinitypaddler Aug 27, 2008.
David Maurier
Posted: Sep 1, 2008Post Subject: Re:
Trinitypaddler wrote:
Thanks Chris for the update! Three weeks of boatable flows "sweet". Can anybody recommend some good camp sites in the area?

Take-out is the common camp site. Strangely, it can be one of the coldest places in California. Bring a drysuit, warm sleeping bag, and a good hat.
Trinitypaddler
Posted: Sep 4, 2008
Thank you for the response!

Camping at the take out is perfect!
Edited twice.  Last edited by Trinitypaddler Sep 4, 2008.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 1, 2008
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "This is to confirm that we are starting to ramp the SF Feather River flows below Little Grass Valley dam today to 350 cfs. We will arrive at 350 cfs by about 3 pm tomorrow, and plan to stay there through October 20. If the flows will stay at that level longer, I will let you know".
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 3, 2008
The South Feather Water and Power Agency comments as follows: "I noticed on your bulletin board that there was some discussion about camp sites. In addition to camping at the take out (or the put in at LGV Dam), there is a camp area at Golden Trout Crossing. South Feather also keeps the bathroom at Mooreville Boat Ramp at Sly Creek Reservoir open year round and I noticed that several hunters/OHV users are camping there now".
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 6, 2008
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "I learned today that some time within the next couple of weeks there will be a controlled burn on top of Mooreville Ridge on the south side of the SF Feather River between LGV and South Fork Diversion. This should have no impact on the boaters but I want them to be aware in case they see smoke. Also, the water tenders may be filling their trucks at the diversion (take out). When the folks doing the burn let me know the actual dates, I'll provide an update".
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 14, 2008
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "The SF Feather River flows will continue through Wednesday, October 22 at 350 cfs; I'm still waiting to hear from PG&E how low we will ramp the flows after that. Also, I was informed this morning that the controlled burn on Mooreville Ridge (south side of SF Feather River) will begin today and continue for up to a week as they move west along the ridgeline."
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 14, 2008
The South Feather Water and Power Agency reports as follows: "PG&E has given us the updated plan for LGV operation. As mentioned previously, we are running 350 cfs through October 22. On Thursday October 23 the flow will be ramped to 275 cfs and stay at that level through the weekend. On Monday October 27 the flow will be ramped down to about 35 cfs. That will provide one more weekend of boatable flows (in the lower range)."
Forums -> Archive -> Flows for SF Feather - Rel Little Grass Valley Page 1 of 1