Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Highway 140 closed for season 

Forums -> Archive -> Highway 140 closed for season Page 1 of 1
Posted to area: CA - MercedLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
bldptr
Posted: Jun 1, 2006Post Subject: Highway 140 closed for season
The rock slide has become massive, covering almost all of the k-rail and fencing put up to keep rocks off of the road, not to mention all of the road. There is a new rapid forming, which should be fun once the hill side stabilizes and you won't have to dodge rocks. There is no way 140 will open for traffic this season and most likely this year. Glad I got my last run in on Friday.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Mar 20, 2007
Caltrans for today says "SR 140 IS OPEN WITH 1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 20 MI EAST OF MARIPOSA (MARIPOSA CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK - DUE TO A ROCK SLIDE - VEHICLES OVER 28 FEET ARE PROHIBITED" which implies you can boat the Merced, as long as you leave your motorhome behind.
Ian Buckley
Posted: Mar 27, 2007
The whole river is open to boating. The slide section is has some new hazards and has a color coded alert system in place. Go to the Sierra National Forest site at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/conditions/ferguson.shtml for the current alert. The approach and entrance to Balls to the Wall/Done Deal has quite a few more rocks and a pretty substantial ledge hole to negociate.

David Greenwood
River Ranger/Outdoor Recreation Planner
BLM, Merced River
Forums -> Archive -> Highway 140 closed for season Page 1 of 1