Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Continuing flows at Fordyce? How long? 

Forums -> Flows -> Continuing flows at Fordyce? How long? Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Fordyce Creek - Below Fordyce DamLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
BorinquenWW
Posted: Jul 9, 2010Post Subject: Continuing flows at Fordyce? How long?
Im wondering (Chris) who is the contact person at PGNE to find out how much longer the flows at 4dyce will be going on. Looking to get in and fire it up on Monday and hoping its not too late. Please reply.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 10, 2010
No direct contact number, sorry, but I've put an inquiry down the pipeline (so to speak), and I'll post what I hear back.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 13, 2010
PG&E responded (via the pipeline) today with: "We are in the process of ramping down today to approximately 320 cfs.  We will be ramping down to approximately 150 cfs next week."
Murphster05
Posted: Jul 22, 2010
do they have any information on when they are ramping back up again? end of the month or after?

Thanks
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 22, 2010
PG&E reports as follows: "The draft on Lake Fordyce will remain around 313 cfs through August 9 at which time the flow will be reduced to 25 cfs for Sierra Trek Jeep Jamboree. On August 17, we will resume the draft of 300 cfs through September 13 at which time the flow will again be reduced to minimum level in order to achieve our target end of year storage level."
BorinquenWW
Posted: Aug 23, 2010Post Subject: wondering why?
I'm interested in the rationale of releasing water from Fordyce Lake in such incrementally insufficient flows for either a kayak or raft. The flows this summer have been long in duration, but there has been barely enough water to make it safe for navagation. I mean below 400 cfs its a sieve fest for hardshells and rubber alike. I would hate to go for a swim after banging on some barely visible rocks.
I think that a better approach would be to limit the releases to 2-4 days a week and give us the goods. 500+ on 4dyce would be an amazing day. Anyways just wanted to put in 2 cents and see if anyone on Dreamflows feels the same.
J'
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 2, 2010
Everyone at Dreamflows (which is to say me) feels the same, though I'm just been swamped with stuff hence the silence until now.

However to address your question, a major issue as I understand it is this. It's a manual value. This means it's an expensive operation for them to change the flow (like someone has to drive up there or in some situations fly up there by chopper, then change the flow except there are mandated ramp rates so they can't simply open wide or close right down they have to hang around). So it can take a significant part of a day to change the flow, and they just aren't going to do that on a regular basis.

Another issue can be that maximum flow is related to head on the dam, so if the reservoir is low they can't release more than a certain flow, however much they want to.

I don't know if either or both of the above are what are driving the current situation, but those are two possible issues that can be driving this. If you want more info - contact AW, they're the ones interacting with PG&E these days, not me.
darinm
Posted: Sep 8, 2010
Either way it just jumped to 400 today!
BorinquenWW
Posted: Sep 12, 2010Post Subject: 400! Thanks to Dam Ops
Going Tue! Thanks to PGNE (thought I would never say that). Much appreciated end of season pulse.
BorinquenWW
Posted: Sep 13, 2010Post Subject: going down
Its down 10cfs just this am. I think we are stuffed!
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 25, 2010
The word is that Fordyce flow will be "30 cfs for the rest of the year".
Forums -> Flows -> Continuing flows at Fordyce? How long? Page 1 of 1