Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Coffee Crk. upper Trinity 

Forums -> Flows -> Coffee Crk. upper Trinity Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Coffee Creek - Above Trinity RiverLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
georgew
Posted: Jul 5, 2010Post Subject: Coffee Crk. upper Trinity
Ran Coffee Creek on the upper Trinity Sat. July 3. Dream Flow gauge estimated flows around 8 - 850. Creek felt more like 400. But it was my first time down that run. So my estimation may be a bit shy to. Fun run, steady class 3 that definitely needs class 4 skill to avoid a long unforgiving swim. But I personally would not give it a class 4 rating. But that's just me.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 5, 2010
Thanks, George. Others have noted (in other years) that the Dreamflows estimate for Coffee Creek was way off too. This particular estimating model works off historical data, and the historical data indicates the estimate should be quite reasonable. But some estimating models don't seem to work very well, even when they "should".

So I'm disabling the Coffee Creek estimate for now and if I find a better way to estimate it, I'll try again.
georgew
Posted: Jul 5, 2010Post Subject: Coffee crk.
I would suggest that you don't disable the flow estimates at this time. Those who paddle that stretch regularly have a good mental compensating feel for what is on line and what might be in the creek itself. Until a better avenue of flow estimates can be acquired. I would leave it as is. With no flows posted. It would be hard to guess what the flows might be. And being that it is a fairly long commute for most who paddle that area. It is nice to have some kind of guess as to what might be going on.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 5, 2010
Sure, works for me - the estimates continue!
jimbo
Posted: Jul 8, 2010
I believe I watched George and his group run the Boulder Creek rapid on Coffee Creek Sat, 7-3, and I estimate the flow there was about 600 cfs so at the confluence with the Trinity it could well have been 800.

The nice thing about a posted flow is not so much whether it's precise, but how well it works as a reference. If I run a river at "1,200" cfs and have a great time, I'm going to make sure I go back there when it's 1,200 again. It doesn't matter if in actuality it's only 1,050.

What I appreciate most about Dreamflows other than the flows is all the other info available like weather, river descriptions and safety issues that really help me narrow down where I want to paddle.

Thanks for creating and maintaining such a wonderful resource, Chris.

Jim
Forums -> Flows -> Coffee Crk. upper Trinity Page 1 of 1