Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Salmon River Road closed @ Freight Train for 1-4 months 

Forums -> Archive -> Salmon River Road closed @ Freight Train for 1-4 months Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Salmon - At Somes BarLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
scottharding
Posted: Mar 8, 2010Post Subject: Salmon River Road closed @ Freight Train for 1-4 months
A rockslide on the night of March 3 has closed the Salmon River Road at Freight Train Rapid (Grants Bluff), about 1/2 mile upstream from the Butler Creek access point. Siskiyou County Road Dept. is estimating that it will take 1 to 4 months to reopen the road. This is the narrowest, most precarious section of the entire Salmon River Road and apparently a good sized section of the road was removed by the rockslide, making it a difficult repair.

The rockslide has deposited a bunch of rocks into the very bottom of Freight Train Rapid on river left also. I don't know how, or if, this will affect the rapid.

The road closure won't affect use of the Butler run for folks coming from the downriver direction. If you are coming from upriver, however, you won't be able to get to the put-in.

If you paddle downriver through Freight Train on the Nordheimer Run, you'll be stuck downstream with no vehicle access (or foot access even unles you want to do some crazy cliff climbing) to get back upstream for a shuttle. That means you need to take out at Grants Creek (bottom of Whirling Dervish Rapid) on river left if you don't want a 4 hour drive around shuttle via the Scott or Trinity River roads.

Thanks to Creek Hanauer for the photos!

FYI: there's also a large slide on Hwy 96 between Orleans and Somes Bar. The detour route is Ishi Pishi Road. At least there's a way around that one.
rvrjames
Posted: Mar 9, 2010Post Subject: Cal Salmon landslide
An update...
Just heard from the Orleans Ranger district that they are being told that the road will be cleared in six weeks from March 5th. So, much less than what was originally reported. Good news for those of us who will be there next month!
Lou
Posted: Apr 21, 2010Post Subject: Road Slide Update (4_21_10)
I called the Siskiyou County Road maintenance department this morning to get a status update on the Forks of the Salmon Slide by Freightrain...on the way to Nord. They told me that they expect to have the work done within the next 2 weeks or so--weather dependent. Rain will keep them off the job site.

I've attached a picture below, sent to me by the engineering department. It shows the damage to the roadway. Note the roads department was very helpful and informative. For more information you can call: (530) 842-8250

chatton
Posted: May 6, 2010Post Subject: OPEN!!!!
Salmon river road opened yesterday. River looks great.
Forums -> Archive -> Salmon River Road closed @ Freight Train for 1-4 months Page 1 of 1