Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  3/23/08 4' but the dam is inches from spilling. 

Forums -> Archive -> 3/23/08 4' but the dam is inches from spilling. Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Sacramento - Below Box Canyon DamNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Darin
Posted: Mar 23, 2008Post Subject: 3/23/08 4' but the dam is inches from spilling.
Base flows are back up, but the dam should start spilling this week, be ready for good times on the box.

Two new hazards currently. One is below the rapid that has a piece of wood at 45 degrees on the right wall at the bottom. This log has been there for years, and you can't see it from the top. It's still there. Immediately below this rapid is another fun rapid, with left or right routes. The right route is a fun pillow line between two staggered rocks, but it now has an underwater log wedged between the two rocks. At 4' it's barely showing but the branches are obvious, although at higher flows they will probably be under water too, but I think the route would still be undesirable, and will be going left.

Downstream, after exiting the canyon proper, the next significant rapid (after the clay wall that the birds nest in) there is a small tree in the river sticking out from the right bank. It hasn't changed the normal right to left move for the rapid, but the move needs to be made sooner due to the location of the wood. I wouldn't be surprised if this one washed out as flows pick up.

The large log on the right channel if the island is still there and will still be dangerous at higher flows, so take the left channel.

Best get up here when she spills!
Forums -> Archive -> 3/23/08 4' but the dam is inches from spilling. Page 1 of 1