Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Tree In South Umpqua above 3C 

Forums -> Archive -> Tree In South Umpqua above 3C Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Umpqua - At TillerLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
erikclarsen
Posted: Feb 20, 2008Post Subject: Tree In South Umpqua above 3C
There is a full length tree spanning the flow on the S Umpqua, about 6-7 miles upstream of Three C Rock (about a mile or so below a campground/creek (entering on river right) that we put in at - sorry don't know the name). This was a VERY dangerous tree (live branches, etc.) spanning the river at river level (no way over or under) at the top of a class II-III section with swift moving water. We were able to sneak/scrape far left over a rock shelf thingy - walking is a good option as well. We were blinded most of the day by the sun, but thankfully it was shady on this corner, so look out! 2100 cfs - great day otherwise!

Erik
erikclarsen
Posted: Apr 14, 2008Post Subject: Update
The above mentioned wood is about 2.5-3 miles below Dumont Creek. It is the first rapid that you come to that has an obvious channel split around an island. Do not go right, you will be screwed at the flows we had (2500 at Tiller). If you entered the right channel, you wouldn't see it until it was too late, and there did not appear to be any eddies in that channel. Go left (this channel is opened up at the slightly higher flows). The tree still has lots of branches.
erikclarsen
Posted: Feb 2, 2009Post Subject: Wood gone
I think I may be the only person that does this run, but in the interest of following up and through, the wood is gone and both sides of the island are clean.

Erik
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Feb 2, 2009Post Subject: Re: Wood gone
erikclarsen wrote:
I think I may be the only person that does this run.

Actually, two of us did this run last year, shortly after your second post, and found the hazard, and avoided it ... but we didn't post anything since we didn't have anything new to add.  So your post was definitely worthwhile.

Also, awesome that you let us know the hazard is now gone - folks are usually quite good about posting hazards but often not so good at saying when they've gone away.  Thanks!
Forums -> Archive -> Tree In South Umpqua above 3C Page 1 of 1