Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  left side drop at Rattlesnake 

Forums -> General -> left side drop at Rattlesnake Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: E. Fk Carson - Near MarkleevilleLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
bridge2nv
Posted: May 11, 2020Post Subject: left side drop at Rattlesnake
There is a good drop point on the left approach. Just watch for the rocks on the left side and under tow on the right. A good alternative to the boney approach to the center slot.
bridge2nv
Posted: May 12, 2020Post Subject: video of left side drop @ 800 cfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSaQyLZh-3o
rtennant
Posted: May 30, 2020Post Subject: My run through Rattlesnake
I ran the new Rattlesnake rapid on May 28th at somewhere between 600-700 CFS, and it was sight unseen, no scouting at all and I had never seen it. I expected to see an island, and I didn't (at least not much of one), so when I realized where I was, it was too late. I was already committed to the right side, as I was following where most of the water was going, and that was it.

When I realized where I was and what had happened, I just chose my line and pushed like a big dog down the right side, and shipped my right oar just in time as we dropped over the dropoff.

We all thought we were giving the two boaters scouting on the right the time of their lives seeing us trash and burn through the rapid, but after seeing us, they chose the same route. We compared notes at camp later that day.

I was running a 16' Avon Pro bucket boat. Old school.
Forums -> General -> left side drop at Rattlesnake Page 1 of 1