Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Lost oar at rattlesnake 

Forums -> General -> Lost oar at rattlesnake Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: E. Fk Carson - Near MarkleevilleLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
vette60
Posted: May 6, 2020Post Subject: Lost oar at rattlesnake
Lost a cataract oar on Tuesday 5/5/2020 if anyone happens to find it. Was at the ledge of new “Rattlesnake” rapid. Black carbon fiber Cataract oar. Rope wrapped weighted handle. Would be likely between the rapid and old S-turn or hot spring. Thx! -chris
lucky fingers
Posted: May 8, 2020Post Subject: rattlesnake
Oh no, what happened? Just a mishap or did you rattlesnake bite you? trying to guage the difficulty and get the right line - straightforward?
Posted: May 8, 2020
nothing big, my oldest was rowing his own boat and took the left chute and it popped his oar up. he forgot to tether it on when we left and it is gone....doh!
lucky fingers
Posted: May 8, 2020
Is the best line left of the island or right of the island?
Posted: May 9, 2020
you'll have to decide that for yourself. depends on your skill level. personally I like the left Chute. that being said, you have to set up right for it and give a good oar stoke right at the top to carry some speed then pull back to avoid the wall. my son just came in sideways and didn't set up well. it wasn't a big deal but it pulled him back and popped an oar. he didn't have it lashed in.

the middle chute is boney at the top. if you put the small grassy island on your left to set up and avoid the fang rock its also pretty clean, just boney.
lucky fingers
Posted: May 11, 2020
Yeh we ended up in right channel - our big heavy 16 foot got stopped at the lip of the drop, despite a good line - will try the left next time. Looking forward to running this with some more water!
Posted: Jul 13, 2020Post Subject: lost oars
drove in this weekend and swam the rapids with a mask and snorkel. river about 100cfs. found 2 oar blades. 1 Carlson, and 1 cataract magnum. no oar shafts. looks like everything flushed out...

was hoping to find the oar my son lost under the ledge at rattlesnake...nope. its quite an undercut though...about 4-6 feet. it will break off again very soon..
Forums -> General -> Lost oar at rattlesnake Page 1 of 1