Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  New sweeper below Rattlesnake Rapid 

Forums -> Hazards -> New sweeper below Rattlesnake Rapid Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: E. Fk Carson - Near MarkleevilleLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
c1seenmall
Posted: Apr 24, 2020Post Subject: New sweeper below Rattlesnake Rapid
A large pine tree has fallen into the river in the run-out of the new Rattlesnake Rapid. It covers the left and center of the river.
It is easily avoided to the right in a kayak at 600 cfs. It could be bad for a swimmer as it filters the main current which was fast at this flow. This is below the little hot springs and above the main hot springs. Scouting recommended.
oarframe
Posted: Apr 26, 2020Post Subject: Efc
Thanks for the update.
Any access issues noted?
jacksonholer52
Posted: Apr 30, 2020Post Subject: Sidewinder aka Rattlesnake Rapid
We rafted and hit the sidewinder at 12:30 PM on Wednesday 4/29. 12' paddle raft. River flow was between 900-1000 csf. Be sure to stay far far right and line up to get down the short chute ... there are a couple of boulders on left and right at end of chute just at the right level to catch your boat. Yes, the tree is still quite a distance but before the main hot spring. Just stay right as you approach and you will get through the opening fine.
lucky fingers
Posted: May 8, 2020Post Subject: ?
do you mean right of the island or right side of the left channel around the island?
Posted: May 10, 2020Post Subject: Re: ?
lucky fingers wrote:
do you mean right of the island or right side of the left channel around the island?

We ran Sidewinder on May 8th around 800 - 900 CFS depending on the diurnal at the time. We had not run the newly formed rapid on the right side of the river dropping into the small junky slot read and run. We should have scouted the rapid. The left side looked like a junky shallow ledge drop maybe runable at higher flows? 2 of our 3 rafts made the slot move OK. The 3rd raft hit the rocks below the slot on the right side and broke an oar. As other posts mention the very large tree strainer below sidewinder is on the left center side. You can safely avoid it on the right but should be very aware of it's presence. Any mishaps in sidewinder resulting in a swim or raft out of control with one oar might have serious consequences. Scout it ahead of running it. Stay safe & Take care,
lucky fingers
Posted: May 11, 2020
Yes, we ran it this past weekend May 9 - I wish we had scouted it but made it through ok in the right channel, I guess it was about 900-1000. It comes up fast and hard to find a good eddy - but it is an obvious ledge drop so maybe we could have tried harder to find a place to pull out. We were square in the middle of the tongue, but our 16 foot still got stopped. We had to push a bit to get it to drop in but then it was ok. The left channel tongue looked very narrow and hard to id without scouting, but would have been a fun ride. The tree is a good quarter mile past the rapid, so you do have a good amount of time to recover if things go sideways.

Two turns after the tree is a good hole on river left but easy to avoid. The hardest part of the day was pulling away from sharp corners, the whole river often wanted to go straight into the sharp walls.

Beautiful, fairly straightforward run. I wouldn't want it to be my first paddle tho.
Posted: Jun 3, 2020Post Subject: New sweeper below Rattlesnake
The tree below the upper hot springs has disconnected from the bank, & moved downstream into slower water. It is now parallel to the current and just off the left bank. It is still above the main hot spring and above the sharp left turn. One more root ball to avoid.
Forums -> Hazards -> New sweeper below Rattlesnake Rapid Page 1 of 1