Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Gage is a little off as of 8 / 22 / 17 

Forums -> Flows -> Gage is a little off as of 8 / 22 / 17 Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Feather - Below Little Grass ValleyLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Thomas M
Posted: Sep 22, 2017Post Subject: Gage is a little off as of 8 / 22 / 17
As of today the flow below little Grass Valley Reservoir read about 380 cfs. I spoke to a dam operator who told me the actual flow was more like 420 CFS. Just be aware that it's a little extra fluffy in there. The dam operator went on to say that he would notify dreamflows when the correction had been made.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 22, 2017
There's not much I can do about that right this minute ... I use South Feather Water and Power data but only indirectly, and in order to match my flows with theirs I need input from them.

But listen to Uncle Thomas!  In my experience he generally knows what he's talking out, so for now follow his advice and add 10% to the flow currently reported by Dreamflows.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 24, 2017
South Feather Water and Power is now aware of the difference between their flow values and what Dreamflows is reporting, and is busy addressing it. Though, they note that the current flow is "right around 400 cfs", i.e. the difference is probably only 20 cfs or so (5% error).

However, due to the heavy flows this year, the channel may have changed, i.e. their own flow values may not be accurate any more. Longer-term they'll re-measure to accurately determine flows, but short-term they're asking paddlers to provide feedback. So, if you have good eyes and don't think the flow is 400 cfs, then please post your findings on this thread.
darinm
Posted: Sep 24, 2017
I was with Thomas on Friday and while it's been many years, the flow felt more like the 500 we had some ~10 years ago. Certainly higher than anything we've seen in the last five or six years. Great for the paddle out.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 25, 2017
South Feather Water and Power started using their revised rating table effective Saturday (23rd) and shared it with Dreamflows this morning. Dreamflows is now using the revised rating table, retroactively applied through Sunday. So, we're both using the same, most recent, rating table.

The sudden jump you see in the graph Saturday midnight is therefore due to Dreamflows' switching to the new rating table, not a sudden jump in actual flow.

As you can see, the current flow is about 420 cfs (which is what Thomas reported it was at the beginning of this thread). Thanks for reporting this issue, Thomas, it helped move this process along.
Forums -> Flows -> Gage is a little off as of 8 / 22 / 17 Page 1 of 1