Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  This gauge is good 

Forums -> Flows -> This gauge is good Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: - Latest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Thomas M
Posted: May 15, 2013Post Subject: This gauge is good
For those that haven't noticed this gauge for the silver fork american above SFA is new as of late 2012 or early 2013 if I remember correct. I have been doing the lower silver fork quite a bit since April and have been using this estimate and it seems to be working good. I have found that flows around 300 cfs are pretty low and manky and a personal low end is about 340 and a good medium flow is about 400-450. This gauge can even be used to determine how much is comming out of the South Fork American in the lovers leap section by subtracting flow at Kybers from Silver. It's so nice to have this gauge now.
Edited once.  Last edited by Thomas M May 15, 2013.
daniel-todd
Posted: May 16, 2013Post Subject: South Fork American Flow
I am bad at guessing CFS but I tend to think the Silver Fork gauge is over estimating. I have been rafting some sections of the Lover's Leap area the last couple days.
The calculations would put me on 150-200 CFS. I would guess I was on more like 300 plus. More along the lines of Half the flow rather then One Quarter the flow.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: May 16, 2013Post Subject: Re: South Fork American Flow
daniel-todd wrote:
I am bad at guessing CFS but I tend to think the Silver Fork gauge is over estimating. I have been rafting some sections of the Lover's Leap area the last couple days.
The calculations would put me on 150-200 CFS. I would guess I was on more like 300 plus. More along the lines of Half the flow rather then One Quarter the flow.

How are you computing the Lover's Leap flows?

El Dorado Irrigation District (EID) diverts around 120 cfs average this time of year from the diversion dam above the Kyburz gauge. To get the Lover's Leap flow, we need to add whatever they're diverting to the difference between the Kyburz gauge and the Silver Fork estimate.

Assuming a 120 cfs diversion and ignoring flow travel time, then at noon today the Lover's Leap take-out flow would be: Kyburz (708 cfs) + Diversion (120 cfs) - Silver Fork estimate (560 cfs) = 268 cfs, which is not that far off your eyeball estimate of 300 cfs.

Thoughts?
Forums -> Flows -> This gauge is good Page 1 of 1