Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Hazard- logs inTakelma Gorge drop #2 NF Rogue river 

Forums -> Archive -> Hazard- logs inTakelma Gorge drop #2 NF Rogue river Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. Rogue - Above North Fork ResLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
hole bait
Posted: Sep 4, 2007Post Subject: Hazard- logs inTakelma Gorge drop #2 NF Rogue river
The second rapid in Takelma gorge is unscoutable from the river and the logs present significant danger. The first one spans the whole river from right to left at a 45 degree angle. The log ends against the wall just past the the main drop. Some good speed and a boof stroke were necessaryto get over the log just before going over the drop. The second log is about fifteen feet down stream of the drop spanning the whole river perpendicular to the current also with not much water going over the top, another boof stroke was used here to make sure I got over it. When I encounterd this wood the flow was 450 to 500cfs.
Edited once.  Last edited by hole bait Sep 4, 2007.
erikclarsen
Posted: Sep 8, 2007Post Subject: If this is in #2, then in fact it can be scouted on river left..
...at least a low flows. There is a decent takeout/scout spot on river left about 150(?) feet above this rapid. You can actually get a pretty decent vantage point by climbing up 5-6 feet on the rocks.

I wonder if the rains from 9 days ago caused this? They weren't there in early July. We are running it tommorrow, I will get a pic and post if possible. Plan on scouting before entering the gorge, however, just to be safe.
erikclarsen
Posted: Oct 26, 2007Post Subject: Update
I was up there 2 weeks ago at very low flows (250-300?) and the wood is still there (of course). The first tree is still as described above, but the second is against the left wall, not across the river (it comes out a little though). However, where you would want to run the first tree (left or center left) will send you right into the top of the second tree. Possible to run right on the first tree I suppose, but this is where it is most exposed. The water is pretty busy at this hazard. I was solo and opted to walk the gorge based on this hazard and the nasty sieve where most of the flow goes in the second ledge of #1 (this was the lowest I have ever seen it, and that sieve looks bad!). Thank goodness it was a spectacular day making a flat water float enjoyable. No photos, sorry.

Erik
Edited once.  Last edited by erikclarsen Oct 26, 2007.
erikclarsen
Posted: Jul 28, 2008Post Subject: Number 2 Wood
The wood has either moved or is just covered up at current flows (perfect medium flow yesterday, end of July, out of sight). I suspect it is just covered up. Not a problem at current flows, but you will want to keep an eye out as it drops. Get in there while it's good!

Erik
erikclarsen
Posted: Dec 6, 2008Post Subject: No More Wood in #2
I scouted it from directly above, and as far as I could tell, it's clear in there - no more wood hazard (250-300 cfs today).
Edited once.  Last edited by erikclarsen Dec 6, 2008.
Forums -> Archive -> Hazard- logs inTakelma Gorge drop #2 NF Rogue river Page 1 of 1