Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  S Yuba, 49-bridgeport hazard 

Forums -> Hazards -> S Yuba, 49-bridgeport hazard Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Yuba - At Hwy 49 BridgeLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
brent
Posted: Feb 21, 2007Post Subject: S Yuba, 49-bridgeport hazard
We did the run at 5.4 and noted that the rapid sometimes referred to as the cattle chute seemed different- narrower. The next day at a flow of 4.9 the change presented itself. There is now a siphon in the chute. It definitely wanted to draw the nose of the boat in, but I was insufficiently curious to see whether the boat would actually fit. This is the rapid which is boofed far right at higher flows and run in a narrow slot almost directly right to left at low flows. The main current flows through a left channel which is rarely run because of piton rocks. The rapid is ~3/4 of the way through the gorge above ski-jump.
brent
Posted: Mar 13, 2007
Oops! A little dislexic. I meant to say left to right through the slot.
Ian Buckley
Posted: Mar 13, 2007
Yeah we walked this one left both days this weekend. At these current low (450-500) flows that new sieve is the final nail in the coffin of wheelchair maneuvers through that righthand slot.
Seemed like another rapid in the same area had changed: starting right you have a choice of a very unlikely looking 6 foot boof slot in the center or going all the way left and making a right turn against the left wall....seems like there's been a small rock fall on the left, what was clean is now really chunky but still goes.
Forums -> Hazards -> S Yuba, 49-bridgeport hazard Page 1 of 1