Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Fordyce Creek Flows 

Forums -> Archive -> Fordyce Creek Flows Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Fordyce Creek - Below Fordyce DamLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 13, 2006Post Subject: Fordyce Creek Flows
I've been calling Drum Powerhouse to get Fordyce flows for almost five years now. Each call doesn't take long, and posting doesn't take long (a few minutes total), it's just starting to get old.

So - new regime. If I happen to be near a phone on Fridays, I'll call Drum and post what I find, probably predicting that flow through the weekend. Otherwise, I won't be calling, so won't be posting. That means that Fordyce flows usually won't be appearing on the reports from now on.

At least, not from me. Some of you guys have helped out by calling in the past, and I appreciate that. What we've all found, though, is that it's no trouble for a short time, but it can become a chore after a while. However, if you'd like to get involved and help out by calling Drum yourself, and posting what you find to Dreamflows, on some kind of predictable, regular, long-term basis, let me know and I'll get you set up. Everyone will love you for it .
jeeping
Posted: Jul 19, 2006Post Subject: Flow
What number are you calling and are you updating it everyday?

Thx
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 19, 2006
Quote:
What number are you calling and are you updating it everyday?

Drum doesn't want all and sundry to call, and will end up changing the number (so that no-one gets flow information) if too many folks do call. The good news is I've had a couple volunteers come forward, offering to call Drum and post the flow on Dreamflows, and I'll be setting one (or more) of them up. So Fordyce flows should be back on Dreamflows soon.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Jul 24, 2006
Fordyce flows are back on Dreamflows! Brian has agreed to take on the task of calling Drum for the flows ... [thanks, Brian]. His current plan is to call every Tuesday and Friday, in the afternoon, and post what he finds then. Drum is happy with this plan. In general the Fordyce flows tend to stay more-or-less the same for extended periods of time, so this should work reasonably well. If you find it doesn't, or the flows aren't being updated often enough for your purposes, though, please let me know.

You can also help by letting me know (or posting here) if you have information about expected flow changes. Drum doesn't always share with me, even for events like the Sierra Trek.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Aug 21, 2006
Awesome! I now have a PG&E contact who is willing to give me medium-to-long term Fordyce forecasts. Thanks everyone for your input on this - particularly Rick, I struck pay dirt with your information.

My contact says the current flow is 215 cfs, and Fordyce should stay at that flow until the fall. I'll post here - and on Boof - when it changes again, or is about to change again. As always, be aware that this is just a prediction, albeit from a good source, and could change at short notice if PG&E operations require it.

- Chris
Cornbread
Posted: Oct 3, 2006
Any updates of late?
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for the reminder ... the word is that the release continues, with the release valve unchanged, however the flow is dropping slowly (but steadily) as the reservoir level drops. The release started at 215 cfs six weeks ago, and is currently just over 180 cfs. PG&E expects to continue with the current release regime (i.e. still dropping slowly) until around the third week in October. At that point they'll let us know what they drop the flow to.
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Oct 17, 2006
PG&E reports that they're dropping the Fordyce Creek flow to 75 cfs today, and expect the flow will remain at this level through the end of the year.
Forums -> Archive -> Fordyce Creek Flows Page 1 of 1