Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Strainer Hazard on Golden Quartz to Washington 

Forums -> Hazards -> Strainer Hazard on Golden Quartz to Washington Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: So. Yuba - At Lang CrossingNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
gibbsatron
Posted: Jun 13, 2011Post Subject: Strainer Hazard on Golden Quartz to Washington
In the last major rapid (referred to as Island 2 AKA Chezo's Hole on AWetState) on The Golden Quartz run On the South Yuba, there is a nasty river left strainer directly after the large hole mid way through the rapid. It pinned me for about a minute after flipping end over end in the hole yesterday and I was subsequently ripped from my boat, then swam the remaining holes and rapids. Hopefully this post can aid others in missing the tree and avoiding a similar or worse fate.

The tree, hole, and possible other lines are all easily visible from the road as well.

To avoid, I would suggest running either far right of the hole, which may be difficult considering all the current pushing left, or running the right channel to sneak the hole. There is always the option to walk on river-right as well.

The hole in question sneaks up on you, (see Dan's description on AWetState) and it caused some chaos for nearly all in our group.

More detailed pics to come.

In this pic, you can see the far river left side of the hole about 20 yards up-river

Edited once.  Last edited by gibbsatron Jun 13, 2011.
Forums -> Hazards -> Strainer Hazard on Golden Quartz to Washington Page 1 of 1