Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Difference in flow between put in (Addena) and take out (Shasta) 

Forums -> Archive -> Difference in flow between put in (Addena) and take out (Shasta) Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: McCloud - At Shasta LakeLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
BorinquenWW
Posted: Sep 22, 2010Post Subject: Difference in flow between put in (Addena) and take out (Shasta)
Chris,
Been looking at this gauge for a few days and couldn't help notice that the flow at Shasta good, but that flow at put in is less than optimal.
I don't know if Tuna Creek or any other tributary would push the flow up that much.
Any thoughts?
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Sep 22, 2010
I don't know specifically, but looking at the map, there are plenty of side creeks to make up the difference ... a little here, a little there ... Claiborne, Squaw Valley and Chatterdown seem bigger than most.

Based on the graphs and my own (single) experience on the Lower McCloud, I'd guess this time of year the Shasta flow would normally be more-or-less double the Ah-Di-Na flow. But according to the graph it's stepped up in a weird way to much more than that. Strange. Recent rain would explain the increase, but the stepping seems to indicate gauge problems. For now, I'd believe the Ah-Di-Na gauge and look at the Shasta gauge with a sceptical eye.

Note that in winter and spring flows can be highly variable; from the graphs, Shasta flow can be anything from a little less than double to more than ten times Ah-Di-Na flow.
paul martzen
Posted: Sep 23, 2010Post Subject: gauge error
I have been talking to PG&E about this discrepancy and got a call back just this afternoon. There is indeed a problem with the gauge. Part of the gauge was changed out on September 2, but another part started acting up. The steady increases we saw, especially from the 14th through the 18th were entirely due to the gauge problem.

Today the gauge was inspected and the reading corrected back to the right level. However, the problem part has not been replaced yet, so expect continued weird readings for awhile.

Paul Martzen
Posted: Sep 23, 2010Post Subject: cnrfc has had the correct reading
my guess it's the same gauge but corrected as it's not real time.
BorinquenWW
Posted: Sep 24, 2010Post Subject: Thanks for the quick response.
I remember a few tribs coming in to the McCloud, but didn't think it would have that much effect, then again it is 23 miles to Shasta.
I hope that the FERC puts some water on this gem. Thanks again for the quick reply...
paul martzen
Posted: Oct 2, 2010Post Subject: gauge fixed today
The malfunctioning stage recorder was replaced today, so the flow readings should now remain accurate.