Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  MF San Joaquin gauge questions 

Forums -> Flows -> MF San Joaquin gauge questions Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: San Joaquin - At Miller CrossingLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
graniteman
Posted: Apr 30, 2009Post Subject: MF San Joaquin gauge questions
Hey,

We are heading out to run Middle Kings this year, but Devils Postpile is out backup. I have heard flows of 450-650 at Millers Crossing are ideal, but the gauge is gone. I noticed some virtual gauges on the flow page, but they aren't working right now. Will they start working once snowpack chills out, or are they unfunctional right now?

Any other advice on predicting flows? I saw that you can calculate 30-40% of millerton natural inflow and get a good estimate for Millers Crossing once the peaks have subsided, but would love to get some more info.

Thanks,
Kirk
chris
Site Admin
Posted: Apr 30, 2009Post Subject: Re: MF San Joaquin gauge questions
graniteman wrote:
I noticed some virtual gauges on the flow page, but they aren't working right now. Will they start working once snowpack chills out, or are they unfunctional right now?

For a while a UCSD project reported flows at Devil's Postpile which Dreamflows picked up and reported too, but it seems they've stopped doing that altogether now. Total bummer. As for virtual gauges ... the Miller's Crossing estimate starts May 1 (i.e. tomorrow). As for the Dinkey Creek estimates, perhaps I can reactivate those, but I need to do some research first; watch this space .
graniteman wrote:
Any other advice on predicting flows?

The expert on this is Paul Martzen ... if I can get some insights from him I'll post here, so they'll persist (linked from the San Joaquin drainage on the Dreamflows reports) for future reference.
paul martzen
Posted: May 12, 2009Post Subject: Gauge update
I did talk with the Scripps contact. The Devils Post pile gauge is functioning, just not transmitting. The transmission problem may or may not get fixed. They say we can get data from past years, so that may help with verifying the accuracy of dreamflows estimates. I may also be able to get past data for Mammoth Pool inflow, which would help verify Millers Crossing estimates.
Posted: Jun 27, 2009Post Subject: Is the Millers Crossing gauge an ACRE FEET to CFS conversion
Is it an acre feet to cfs conversion based on the acre-foot inflow to Mammoth Pool data from the power people?

Hence just the daily average data points?

And in this case, I guess it is pretty accurate?
Forums -> Flows -> MF San Joaquin gauge questions Page 1 of 1