Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Dangerous strainer on Generation Gap 

Forums -> Hazards -> Dangerous strainer on Generation Gap Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: No. American - Inflow Lake ClementineLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Cornbread
Posted: Apr 30, 2008Post Subject: Dangerous strainer on Generation Gap
We got on a great Gen/Giant 2 day Sunday and Monday and noticed a dangerous strainer about 3-4 miles down from Mumford Bar. It appears to be a fairly benign rapid when you enter and it starts a slight bend to the left and then goes over a pretty steep drop that has a large rock in the middle at the bottom of the drop. Most of the water goes to the left around the rock and a small bit goes to the right. The hazard is there is a large tree blocking the entire left channel and actually spans the entire river though it is underwater in the right slot. One person in our group bombed into the drop and tried to make it to the right but his paddled got wedged and he went backwards under the tree. The others scrambled to catch a small eddy on the river left after seeing the river going over a fairly steep drop and successfully got out and portaged around on river left. I'll post a pic of the drop on Friday but just thought I'd give a heads up for any groups going in this weekend. Some other beta, the access road to the Mumford bar trail is still snowed in and probably will be for another month or two at least; however, it was a pretty easy hike of 20 min to get to the trailhead draggin on the snow. There is also a log blocking the access road which would require a chainsaw when the snow melts to get to the trailhead. From the trailhead, it took another 1 hr 40 min to get to Mumford Bar will several snow patches and downed trees along the trail. Everything else is clear including F14 which did not have any wood.
Cornbread
Posted: Mar 24, 2009Post Subject: Strainer pics on Gen Gap
You can see some photos of the aforementioned strainer on the upper part of generation gap and also the log stuck in F-14 on the lower part of generation gap at this link
http://forums.boof.com/showthread.php?t=4486&highlight=generation
Edited once.  Last edited by Cornbread Mar 24, 2009.
Forums -> Hazards -> Dangerous strainer on Generation Gap Page 1 of 1