Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Tree across entire left Channel 

Forums -> Hazards -> Tree across entire left Channel Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Bear - At Hwy 174 BridgeLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
Paul Redd
Posted: Apr 24, 2019Post Subject: Tree across entire left Channel
I was not there, but have received two reports today that 1.0 miles from Ben Taylor Road put-in, you must portage in the shallow channel on river-right before the river divides around an island. The entire left channel ahead is blocked by a down tree. It is best not to proceed into left channel to look. This rapid was always a bit wood-choked and known as Strainer Rapid" but now is un-runnable. If you find out any different, please post here.
Posted: May 6, 2019Post Subject: Tree in left channel partially cleared
There are around 4 trees involved with three of them about 3” diameter and one around 6”. Only the latter tree extended fully across the channel. We moved that tree so it blocks no more channel than the smaller trees. We estimate that about 80% of the flow on the RH channel and half the channel width is now unimpeded.

The channel at this point bends to the right and the sweeper is on the left, so it is still quite possible for inattentive or low skilled boaters to be swept to the outside of the bend and into the sweeper. However, we believe that most people who would do this run will be able to cope with it. In short: it is still dangerous and warrants extra caution from class 2 boaters.
Paul Redd
Posted: Jun 9, 2019Post Subject: Strainer cleared by Steve Rock
This hazard has been cleared by Steve Rock. Thanks Steve.

The left channel is fine now. I suggest caution in this rapid first time in future years.

The Dog Bar takeout on this run has now been posted "No-Parking" in early May 2019. Copious Swear words.