Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Opportunities To Enjoy Pit Falls (CA) Limited Again! 

Forums -> Flows -> Opportunities To Enjoy Pit Falls (CA) Limited Again! Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Pit - Below Pit 1 PowerhouseNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
theresaAW1
Posted: Aug 1, 2018Post Subject: Opportunities To Enjoy Pit Falls (CA) Limited Again!
Over American Whitewater’s objections, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) is again planning on a single four-day release on Pit 1 over the Columbus Day weekend. While we understand that this is their option per the language of the FERC license condition, we do not feel that PG&E's rationale for doing this again is in the spirit of the agreement negotiated during relicensing. Last year, the change by PG&E to move the fall releases to 4 consecutive days over Columbus Day weekend effectively reduced boating opportunity to two days since the overwhelming majority of paddlers could only boat on the weekend.

HELP US CHANGE THIS SCENARIO

We do have an opportunity to change this scenario along with other needed improvements for parking and camping capacity. The State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) is working on an amendment to the Pit 1 Hydroelectric Project 401 certification. If you are one of the many boaters that cannot take advantage of all 4 days over the Columbus Day weekend please send comments to Meiling Roddam at the Division of Water Rights – Water Quality Certification Program.

Meiling.Roddam@waterboards.ca.gov

Title your email - Re: Proposed Amendment to the the 401 Water Quality Certification for PIT 1 Hydroelectric Project

We encourage paddliers to personalize the sample comment below.

SAMPLE COMMENT

Dear Ms. Roddam,

I am a whitewater boater that enjoys the beautiful scenery and unique challenges of paddling the magnificent Pit Falls on the Pit 1 Hydroelectric Project. I am providing comments regarding the proposed amendment to the 401 Water Quality Certification for the PIT 1 Hydroelectric Project.

Last year, the change by PG&E to move the fall releases to 4 consecutive days over Columbus Day weekend effectively reduced my boating opportunities on Pit 1 since I could not take the needed days off during the holiday to enjoy all the scheduled releases.

FEEL FREE TO INSERT HERE YOUR OWN BOATING EXPERICENCE ON PIT 1 AND DESCRIBE ANY DIFFICULITIES OF GETTING DAYS OFF TO TRAVEL AND ENJOY 4 DAYS OVER COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND

Therefore, in the proposed amendment to the 401 Water Quality Certification for the PIT 1 Hydroelectric Project I respectfully request that the SWRCB require PG&E to release over two weekends during October and require PG&E to consult and gain approval from the SWRCB and American Whitewater on any future scheduled recreational flows.

In addition to the release schedule, I would like to see the proposed amendment address the limited parking capacity at the Fall River Mills put-in and the limited camping capacity at the BLM Pit 1 Campground.

Sincerely,

Forums -> Flows -> Opportunities To Enjoy Pit Falls (CA) Limited Again! Page 1 of 1