Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  Slab Creek Threshold for Rec Flow Cancellation 

Forums -> Flows -> Slab Creek Threshold for Rec Flow Cancellation Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: - Latest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
theresaAW1
Posted: May 13, 2016Post Subject: Slab Creek Threshold for Rec Flow Cancellation
SMUD reports that the 7 day moving average temperature is at 11.6 degrees Celsius - 12 degrees is the threshold for Slab Creek Rec Flows to be cancelled.

PLEASE CHECK THIS SITE BEFORE HEADING OUT on either Saturday or Sunday.

The license condition states:

Quote:
Condition 9B Cancellation of Recreational Streamflows in South Fork American River

If water temperatures rise above 12°C mean daily temperature for a seven-day running average (refer to Condition 8.I. – Water Temperature) at SFAR 6 (in the SF American River approximately 1⁄2-mile upstream of White Rock Powerhouse water temperature monitoring location 8.I.18), the Licensee shall cancel the recreational flow events in the SF American River below Slab Creek Reservoir Dam unless the Deputy Director, in consultation with USFS, USFWS and CDFW, determines that such events are compatible with protection of FYL frogs and other biological resources.

Please keep in mind that there is no grey area on this condition for the first few years since we have no data to indicate no harm to FYL frogs or other biological resources. Once the threshold is reached recreational flows are cancelled. Following are the steps that SMUD will take if flows must be scrubbed:

Quote:
When the temperature threshold is crossed and recreation flows canceled, our plan is to send out an email to the Consultation Group who could then spread the word as necessary. We will also reach out to USFS and BLM directly so that their operations staff could relay the information to boaters who may not have had a chance to get the message. If the threshold is crossed during the week we will also update the public information website4 with the cancelation notice
theresaAW1
Posted: May 14, 2016Post Subject: Good News - No News
6:00 am CDEC Reading

No cancelation email from SMUD and it appears they are ramping up flows as Slab Creek reservoir elevation is at 1850.36.
theresaAW1
Posted: May 15, 2016Post Subject: Slab Creek May 15
Final recreational release for the year is a go! Enjoy!
theresaAW1
Posted: May 15, 2016Post Subject: Slab Creek May 15
Final recreational release for the year is a go! Enjoy!
Forums -> Flows -> Slab Creek Threshold for Rec Flow Cancellation Page 1 of 1