Dreamflows Bulletin Board

"I can't boat everyday, but I can always Dream"

Home River Flows Bulletin Board Custom Email Reports Alerts Signup Login Help About

Topic:  willow tree across Long Arm 

Forums -> Hazards -> willow tree across Long Arm Page 1 of 1
Posted to flow site: Putah Creek - Below Lake BerryessaLatest PostNext TopicPrev Topic
 Author  Message 
cacreeks
Posted: Jun 13, 2013Post Subject: willow tree across Long Arm
Long Arm of the Law (2nd major rapid below the dam) reportedly has a willow tree blocking the right channel near its entrance. Will post again if and when cleared.
smenicucci
Posted: Aug 2, 2013Post Subject: Long Arm of the Law rapid hazard
As of 7/25/13, the right channel of the rapid "Long Arm of the Law" is impassable. Attempted to run it at around 600 CFS and did not observe any other alternative channel.
dwnrivr
Posted: Apr 24, 2014
Anyone seen this tree lately?
chickenroute
Posted: Apr 25, 2014Post Subject: Hazards, long arm of the law
As of late March, all three mini 'rapids' that make up 'long arm' have tree hazards. These hazards have been there a while and always required evasive action to avoid decapitation or worse. But now they are very dangerous. Number 1(willow across river)is a required portage. Number 2 could impale/scalp you and #3 could be death by strainer....otherwise, this is a jem of a run!
The good news is this is all fixable by mere mortals with a little gear...plans were considered...no action taken.

Center channel at fishing access takeout is now passable on river right around log in river.

No status on river condition between long arm and takeout!

River Ranger action needed!!
dwnrivr
Posted: Apr 25, 2014
Thanks for the update! Awfully convenient for the fisherman having the creek all to themselves the past year.
dwnrivr
Posted: May 29, 2014Post Subject: strainer pics
Anyone have any recent pics of the strainer? I'm thinking about paddling Sunday and bringing my folding saw. In a drought year like this it would be great to have something to paddle closer then SFA.
Edited once.  Last edited by dwnrivr May 29, 2014.
Samraskal
Posted: Jun 25, 2014Post Subject: Log status? Need help?
Hey Dwnrvr and others. I work in Davis and am interested in this run for After work play. Are the logs still there? If so, want to mount a folding saw mission?
dwnrivr
Posted: Jun 25, 2014Post Subject: chainsaw mission
I've been told by a couple different people that it is chainsaw work unfortunately. Might have to wait for a big winter to move the tree.
jibmaster
Posted: Aug 7, 2015
August 5 @ 516cfs

Edited once.  Last edited by jibmaster Aug 7, 2015.
jibmaster
Posted: Aug 18, 2015
August 13, 2015
490 cfs
full run;unedited;real time

Dangerous decapitating log at 31:00 in the above video
river right leads to this log.
we took river left - only a few snags to drag the boat over.
easily removable
Forums -> Hazards -> willow tree across Long Arm Page 1 of 1